Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Featured Artist - Carey Chen

We are so excited to Feature Carey Chen as our artist this week!

 Jupiter Haven


Tell us a little bit about yourself?
I was born in California and raised in Jamaica until the age of 18 then moved to Miami where I opened a family business. My hobbies were motorcycle and car racing but I have always had a passion for the ocean. My family has been three generations in Jamaica.

What brought you to Florida?
In the 70's there was some political unrest, most of the wealthy in Jamaica moved out of the country I moved with my mother,two brothers and sister to Miami.

Do you have a favorite place in this huge world of ours?
I love Florida but my next favorite place is all the caribbean islands. No matter where. I have traveled to almost all and have friends all over. It is my second home.

Did you go to school to study art?
I am self taught.

Mahi Hookup


When did you first realize you are an artist?
I had the feel for it when I was young but never started seriously until the age of 30.

How would you describe your painting style?
Realistic, fine art

What inspires you to create your images?
Seeing all the incredible fishing scenes catching thousands of game fish.

What famous artists have influenced you, and how?
I have liked Christian Lassen, Don Ray before I started painting.

Moon Doggie


What do you do for fun (besides painting)?
fish, travel


How do you keep motivated when things get tough in the studio?

I put some music or tv on in my studio to rest the brain after a long session

How have you handled the business side of being an artist?

I have investors who help with the business. Had to multi task.

 Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
The future looks bright. I've made some bad mistakes in the past that held me up but I'm ready to move forward now.


 Venezuela Grander


What are you working on at the moment?
I'm working on some murals now and a new t shirt line.

Any advice you would like to pass on to up and coming artist?
My advice is "the more you paint the better you get".


Is there a place on the web where folks can see your work & purchase prints?
Right now I have a new start and getting my new company going. They can find my info at www.careychenart.com which is under construction but in the meantime they can follow me on Facebook "Carey Chen Art"


Do you have some upcoming events we should be aware of?
See us at Sunfest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment