Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Featured Artist Michael Pucciarelli

Featured Artist Micheal Pucciarelli - Low Brow Painter/Tattoo Artist

Where the Barbed Wire Grows

Tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am primarily a tattoo artist, I have been tattooing for about 13 years and I own my own shop Altered State Tattoo in Lake Worth FL. My second medium is painting, I work with acrylics on Masonite and sometimes canvas. I also have been playing guitar in rock bands since I was 18.

What brought you to Florida?
I was born here, my parents are originally from Brooklyn NY.

Do you have a favorite place in this huge world of ours?
I'd say California, I've been there 3 times and loved it,

Did you go to school to study art?
Well I guess since I was drawing most of the time in class on my folders you could say I had my own art school in my mind, but no, just art classes in high school.





Nemo's Ethnobotanical Experiment No. 5

When did you first realize you are an artist?
I think probably very young, maybe 8, I would copy Frank Frazetta paintings and then I did a scratch-board of a squirrel and my mom framed it, thats when I realized that I could draw.

How would you describe your painting style?
Much like drawing, as I love working with pencil, it's pretty tight and meticulous, I always do a detailed drawing first and work from that. I work in thin layers to create depth and values.

What inspires you to create your images?
My paintings are influenced by many things, music, movies etc, but thrill rides and amusement parks are the central theme that ties them all together.


Fraken Tiki Island

What famous artists have influenced you, and how?
Frank Frazetta was the first artist that really kicked me in the face, his paintings of barbarian warriors and exotic women was the epitome of heavy metal to me, also album covers were a big inspiration. Then I saw the paintings of HR Giger, again a newer view of heavy metal to me, his dark visions of a bio mechanical hell really struck a chord with me.

What do you do for fun (besides painting)?
I play guitar in a band called Trailer Shark, we do high energy covers of classic rock and heavy metal.

How do you keep motivated when things get tough in the studio?
It helps for me to look at artwork that inspires me, books, websites or going to museums.

How have you handled the business side of being an artist?
I do it myself and with the help of the internet mostly and tattoo magazines.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Probably painting more and tattooing less.

What are you working on at the moment?
I just finished painting some guitars in bio mechanical and steam-punk styles, and I also have a 30 x 40 canvas in progress, it's a vision of blue Asian style demon morphing into a skeleton in the sky, in the lower foreground is me at an easel painting UFO's.



Les Paul Special, acrylic with brushes



Custom BC Rich Warlock double-neck guitar/bass in progress



Bass hand painted with acrylics for producer Steve King


Any advice you would like to pass on to up and coming artist?
Make sure you have a day job! But paint every painting like it's your last, Vermeer only did 31 paintings, and produced an average of 3 a year, quality over quantity is the only way.

Is there a place on the web where folks can see your work & purchase prints?
www.poochisland.com

Do you have a blog?
I'm on Facebook, Michael Pucciarelli


Do you have some upcoming events we should be aware of?
I will be at Art Rock Sat May 15 at the Armory art center in WPB

No comments:

Post a Comment